12.03.2010

Friend Friday: Blogger Burnout

What is Friend Friday? Every week, Katy sends out a set of 5 questions to participating bloggers. Since we're all answering, it gives bloggers and readers alike a chance to get better acquainted. If you haven't checked out Katy's blog, Modly Chic, I definitely recommend a peek.

Today's topic is Blogger Burnout. Because sometimes I get so tired that I need to take a nap in the grass. Like this.
1. How many hours a week do you spend blogging? Has that number
changed since you started blogging?
I spend about half an hour for each post, between taking photos, editing and uploading to flickr, and writing my actual content. Since I post about 5 times a week, that averages out to around 25 minutes a day. When I first started, I hadn't gotten my system down, so it took quite a bit longer.


2. There is always more you can do, write, read, comment on... how do
you limit your time spent on these tasks?
Since my job involves lots of desk time, I am able to catch up on my Google reader during the day. Commenting is another beast entirely-- clicking over to the site, finding the comment form, typing the strange words Blogger chooses to make sure I am not a robot/alien, takes time. Sometimes I am a better commenter than others. I make sure to comment on my favorite blogs every so often, especially when I just love an outfit. With newer finds, I am a bit more proactive. I'd say on average I spend around an hour during the day reading, and no more than 15 minutes commenting.

3. Have you experienced Blogger burnout yet? How have you dealt with
that?
I have experienced the burn a few times. I find that if I take a few days off when I'm on vacation, away for the weekend or any other reason, getting back into the habit of photographing my outfits and posting seems far more tedious. The more I post, the easier it is. The few times I've thought about quitting, I just wait a few days. I end up missing my readers and wearing something I just need to share, and I snap out of my funk.

4. This time of the year is always a lot busier than any other time.
Will your blogging change as a result?
This season is busy for me, but not because of the holidays (for Orthodox Jews, busy season is mid-September-October, when we have nearly 2 whole weeks of holidays. And not the kind where we can snap photos and be antisocial for a few minutes and post, either. I'm talking full-on no electricity holidays.) I've been really busy lately with grad school applications, and I've been posting less frequently. Since I see this as a hobby, I don't stress if I can't get photos or post. Thankfully, my readers have stuck by even when I go a few days without providing new content.


5. Could you forsee a moment in which you are not blogging anymore?
How would you you identify that it's time to walk away?
I will stop blogging when it is more of a burden than a joy. When will that be? Who knows? I can see myself getting overwhelmed with a reading list during grad school and taking a hiatus, or someday when we have kids deciding that this is no longer a priority. Again, I think seeing this as a hobby puts it into perspective: if playing tennis or knitting became stressful, I'd stop. Same with blogging.

4 comments:

KT said...

Gotta love a job that allows you time to scroll through your google reader and pop over to a blog to leave a comment. Mine is luckily like that too. Great thoughts about stepping back but missing your readers and getting back into it. - Katy

Franca said...

Wow, you have the posting down to a fine art if you can manage it in half an hour. I'm so sloooow in comparison!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I try to stay off blogs and Facebook while I'm on campus or at least really limit them. There's always something else to work on while I'm there - research, class prep, grading. So I do most of my blog reading and commenting as I have my coffee in the morning or in the evening.

Meredith said...

an unplugged holiday. love it. i might give it a try ... but i'm going to my in-laws ... so we'll see. might need the little break now and then . sh! don't tell;)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...