9.25.2010

Mad (Wo)Men

Hello, civilization. Nothing like a 3-day holiday to make your Google Reader count climb to dizzying numbers. This is the last in this mini-series on Sabbath/holiday wear. Hope you've enjoyed this sneak peek into my formal wear!
The list:
-black patterned dress, vintage
-black suede peeptoes, Seychelles
-shell belt, H&M
-black felt hat, Ophelie Hats
For those of you who, like me, struggle to find clothing that can be worn without constant layering, I wholeheartedly suggest you comb your local thrift stores, vintage stores or visit ebay or etsy. Clothing worn by women in generations past certainly covered a great deal more of the body, and I've had some great success finding longer lengths (both sleeves and hemlines) by looking to the past. This dress is one of my favorite examples-- how often do you find a 3/4 sleeve, knee-length dress for an affordable price in stores today?
To amp of the vintage vibe, I paired the dress with my favorite black peeptoes, also an ebay purchase, and this black pillbox hat. As I mentioned, I tend to favor vintage hats for size and inexpensiveness, but I pretty much adore everything made by Ophelie Hats. Their styles are vintage with a contemporary twist, and their prices won't break the bank. If you're looking to invest in a quality dress hat, I highly recommend this brand.
Thanks to those of you who noticed the blog makeover- I had lots of fun making the header and blog buttons from vintage pattern book sketches (thanks, Google Images.) While I don't consider myself a dogmatic vintage devotee, I certainly look to styles of the last century for inspiration, particularly as a skirt (and now loose trouser) wearer. Women of the '30s, '40s and '50s made modest style look effortless and classy, and I aspire to do the same.

10 comments:

Modesty is Pretty said...

I love love the hat!

tastymoog said...

beautiful dress + hat!

one of my favorite things about vintage dresses are the sleeves.

Iris said...

I love this outfit, you look really beautiful and that hat is to die for!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

This outfit is one of my favorites of yours ever! I love the hat!

Courtnee said...

I love the hat! I've been having lots of fun latley buying and styling some great vintage finds:)

bracha tzipora said...

Love this vintage look, Nina!!! I just got an email from Tulle (a dress website that specializes in vintage inspired style) and you should totally enter it! http://www.facebook.com/tulle4us

(I swear, I'm not spamming you!) That dress is so fabulous; did you ever end up getting it altered? I love the hat!

Destined For Now said...

Gorgeous! I really love the hat. You should probably wear holiday clothes all the time.

Kristina said...

I love everything about your ensembles...I am a HUGE fan of vintage and you pull it together sooo well...

Apple said...

You are really cute! I love that dress! Wow, I totally agree with the layering problem, sometimes I'm like... it's 90 degrees outside and I'm wearing 4 layers just to be modest!! It sucks sometimes! I have recently gained a new love for thrift shopping - just went last night actually and found tons of cute things! I had to put some things back because there was so much I liked! Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog and I'm glad you liked it! I love yours too!

modest-apple.blogspot.com

Batya said...

Lovely outfit, great hat! And good tips.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...